At ABCSD, we believe in building people through the merit shop philosophy: projects and personal advancement should be awarded based on performance, skill, and achievement. As a respected national association, we’ve been setting the standard for safety, quality, and integrity in the construction industry since 1950 — and we’re not about to stop now.
Our flexible, affordable craft and safety training leads to industry-recognized, national credentials for today’s leading construction positions. Together, we help individuals train, transform, and triumph as they pursue meaningful careers advancing their potential and building strong communities.
FOLLOW THESE FIVE EASY STEPS:
1. APPLICATION. Complete an ABCSD application for the next written entrance test of basic math and reading skills. Applicants must be 18 or older and provide proof of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent. Electrical applicants must also include proof of completion of a basic algebra course with a “C” or better.
2. WRITTEN COMPETENCY TEST. On your scheduled test day, present a picture/photo ID in order to test. You must pass both math and reading sections to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. ORAL INTERVIEW. After passing the written entrance test, you will be scheduled for an in-person panel interview with the Apprenticeship Committee.
4. REGISTRATION & MANDATORY DRUG TEST. At the enrollment step, you will attend orientation and complete your apprenticeship and school forms. All applicants must pass a drug test prior to final acceptance into the program. Electrical and EST applicants must pass a color vision screening.
5. EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING PROCESS. As an ABCSD apprentice, you will work for an ABCSD member contractor and receive paid on-the-job training. You will also attend school to complete your theory and technical classroom requirements, typically two nights per week. You will earn college credits from the Chabot Las-Positas Community College District for each course you complete.
The recruitment, selection, and training of apprentice for the San Diego Apprenticeship Training program shall be without discrimination of color, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation.